Thursday, March 12, 2015

Sir Terry - Rest in Peace

I just read that Terry Pratchett passed away this morning.

I remember reading the first five books of Terry Pratchett's Discworld series in college.  Before he passed, Pratchett ended up writing a total of 40 books in the series plus supplements, and the doesn't include his other series: The Bromeliad, the Johnny series, and the Long Earth series.

I have regularly re-read his books to recapture the feelings from when I first read them as well as to find things int eh stories that I missed previously.  Pratchett was so intelligent that he would hide items and history from our world in the Discworld while giving it just a twist.

My favorite was the Dwarven throne, the Scone of Stone.  Dwarves use bread in a violent manner creating weapons from them.  The durability of the Dwarf Bread had them create their throne out of their bread.

It was probably five years after reading about it in The Fifth Elephant, that I read about the Stone of Scone which was the Scottish coronation stone.

And he did this all of the time.  As well as planting the seeds of his future books inside others.  Or mining his previous stories for ideas.

All of his work enthralls me, and he will be sorely missed.

No comments: