Wednesday, January 02, 2019

Enthusiasm

So, today I'm back in Oroville, and I had a craving for ice cream.

It's 40 degrees up here right now, but I sent for a walk.

It reminded me of this old Nancy comic strip I cut out long ago.  I think Mom saved it for me.  I used to have a book of all the old comic strips that I'd saved.  Jennifer scanned them for me, so now it's in my computer's digital archives.


I was in two coats and wearing gloves.


Those that know me will note a certain lack of beard.  This morning was my annual physical for my HAZWOPER certification.  I had three fit tests with half-face and full-face respirators, and the newest bit was a dust mask.  The dusk mask is a new thing based on us being up in Oroville during the Camp Fire.  I passed everything, but man am I sick of that stupid Rainbow Passage.

Rainbow Passage
When the sunlight strikes raindrops in the air, they act like a prism and form a rainbow. A rainbow is a division of white light into many beautiful colors. These take the shape of a long round arch with its path high above and its two ends apparently beyond the horizon. There is, according to legend, a boiling pot of gold at one end. People look, but no one ever finds it. When a man looks for something beyond his reach his friends say he is looking for the pot of gold at the end of the rainbow.

I read it six times.

Six times because there's a timer going and you have to keep talking during that portion of the test.  Last year I convinced the proctor to allow me to read it backwards the third and fourth times just for some variety.

And I've read it now for 14 or 15 years.  You'd really think I woudl have it memorized by now.

No comments: