Monday, March 25, 2024

Going Home

 So, back when I was living in Kentucky during high school, I spent a lot of time in our basement where I had about a quarter to a third of the basement set aside for me.  I had our big color TV that I'd watch cartoons and MTV on.

This was top tier MTV before the reality shows started.  And a new album that came out was Dire Straits' Brothers in Arms.  It was quickly a favorite album, and it connected closer me with the guys from the church youth group who were huge Dire Straits fans.  And then when I was moving to Maryland for my junior year of high school, we had a little going away get together and they made cassette copies of a bunch of albums for me.  One was the Beatles Magical Mystery Tour, and most fo the rest were Dire Straits albums, because as they said, "Once you listen to one whole album, you're going to want to listen to all of them."

And I did.

In Maryland, I found a Dire Straits album at the library that had not been shared with me: a double album called Alchemy.  When I took it home, I discovered it was a concert album, but there was one song on the album that I didn't know about called "Going Home (Theme from Local Hero)".  It was a song that closed the concert and was so impactful to me.  Now this was pre-internet, but I was already into soundtracks, and I had to know more about this song, and how to get the studio version of it.

But until then I was focused on Dire Straits.  I found a VHS concert video at Erol's Video and watched through all of the songs I knew from the LP and then watched fascinated as the show closed with this video:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/Pvn8IYrKMJ4?si=wfiyr0lRiFPrXTLX" title="YouTube video player" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture; web-share" referrerpolicy="strict-origin-when-cross-origin" allowfullscreen></iframe>

While I was in college, I finally found the soundtrack to the movie "Local Hero", and got to hear the studio version of "Going Home":

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/3DB-uJ0TxKQ?si=nQWA1Ox2ku_4K6rW" title="YouTube video player" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture; web-share" referrerpolicy="strict-origin-when-cross-origin" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Also in college, I went to see Dire Straits on tour for their last album Heavy Fuel, and I learned that they close every concert with "Going Home"

Well, now Mark Knopfler has taken hsi song "Going Home" and made it into an incredible charity single with over 60 guitar masters.  You can read about it here and about the making of a new video here.

And finally, here is the amazing 10 minute video:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/zBGm7gJtSZE?si=csXM7mi1ampRuH6-" title="YouTube video player" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture; web-share" referrerpolicy="strict-origin-when-cross-origin" allowfullscreen></iframe>

No comments: