Sunday, October 24, 2010

Trying Again

All right, I'm going to try to get back in the habit of blogging. I've fallen off recently from working to finish a 1,000-page book.

The book was The Way of Kings by Brandon Sanderson, and I have to admit that I was a bit reluctant to start a new epic fantasy series with the first volume just crossing 4 digits.

Jennifer said that I should give it a chance, and so I did. The Prologue was interesting, and then the Introduction was truly intriguing with a tease at the new magic system Sanderson has created. And from then on I was hooked. Aside from the humans and one small region, the world is almost like evolution moved on with crustaceans and corals. The magic system is based on gems that catch the power of storm that travel east to west.

Sanderson has obviously been influenced from his writing of the Wheel of Time conclusion, but mostly in the magic-technology lost to antiquity and the epic feel of things. The story is all his own. I look forward to his future volumes in this world of the Stormlight Archives.

No comments: