Thursday, March 31, 2016

In Praise of Brandon Sanderson

So, I'm going to assume that you have read at least one book by Brandon Sanderson.  And if you haven't, then you should.

I started as did most people with the Mistborn trilogy.  It's the concept how "magic" works on that world that was so fascinating.  I've read three of the four post-Mistborn series.  I think I need to read the Elantris books for the pre-history of the that world.

Then I read Warbreaker, and the foundation for magic shifted from metals to color.

Then came the Stormlight Archives,and I'm still not quite sure how magic works there.

Last to be introduced to me was the Reckoners series, which I'm reading the third book of right now.  Imagine a world of supers who become evil when they use their powers.1

And there are hints that these worlds are connected somehow.  Certainly, Warbreaker and the Stormlight world, but possibly others.

What makes Sanderson so fun is that the feel of the books are all different.  Even when he wrote the last three books of Robert Jordan's Wheel of Time series, he kept to Jordan's voice slowly shifting to his own.

So yes, give him a read.  You'll enjoy it.

No comments: