Thursday, March 10, 2016

Movie Time

So, yeah, it's been kind of difficult getting back into blogging momentum after my mom's death.  I'm hoping I can build some up again.

I have seen some movies over the past few months...

Star Wars: The Force Awakens - It's just fun.  There's no other way to describe it.  I like the new characters and it was great to see the old characters again.  I've seen it twice in theaters (tying for Jedi, but falling short of Empire [3 times] and Hope [4 times]), and the blu-ray has already been ordered.

Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid - Seen through Fathom Events, and so enjoyable on a big screen.

Blazing Saddles - Also great on a big screen.  Something of note, when the town is exploding at the end?  Those bodies flying into the air are horses.  That's a detail you miss on a small screen; I always though they were people.

Queen: A Night in Bohemia/A Night at the Odeon - Jennifer surprised me with tickets this week to a combination documentary (30 minutes) followed by a live recorded concert of Queen.  The documentary was a cool little bit of interviews through the years on "Bohemian Rhapsody" and Queen's move from one label to another.  What struck me a fascinating was Freddie Mercury saying how BR was actually three songs he had in his head that he strung together into one.  What makes this more interesting to me is that in an interview I heard, My Chemical Romance described the creation of "Black Parade" in a similar way, but with 4 or five pieces.  The recorded concert was actually Queen's Christmas Eve concert on BBC-1 in 1975.  Yes, 1975.  Aside from the fun of the concert, watching Brian May play was kind of funny.  He plays, and moves a bit then stands still and plays more, then repeat.  Freddie's showmanship hadn't worn off onto him yet.  He looks like such a nerd (astronomy major, remember) who just happens to play excellent guitar.

Deadpool - Now, I'll preface this with the fact that I knew nothing of Deadpool aside from internet memes and "Wolverine: Origins".  However, that being said, this was a movie that was just fun.  Crude and violent, but lots of fun.

No comments: