Thursday, September 26, 2024

The Deathworlders

So I found The Deathworlders by Hambone HFY (aka Phillip R. Jackson) online, but I can't remember where.  It may have been Geeks Are Sexy, but I can't find it in my history.  It may be that my history doesn't go back far enough.

I just want to put that out there at the beginning; this is a commitment to read at approximately 8,400 pages.  This book took me four months to read, and according to my Kindle approximately 280 hours total reading time.

I would not trade any of that time for something else.  This book was a ride from the start.

There are 97 parts to this saga which would be equivalent in length to novellas.  Sometimes.  Some are longer than others, but very few are the epic size of a Robert Jordan or Brandon Sanderson.

At the end, looking back at the characters who have been lost, and those that have changed and grown over the course of the book makes you realize the completeness of this writing.  And I just want to read more by him. As he says in the end, The Deathworlders could benefit from professional editing; however, that is only for clean-up and maybe pacing.

What makes the book even more fun, is that it doesn't pretend to exist in a world without present and past pop culture.  There is probably as much reference to things as can be done without taking over other author's materials.  And yet the parts that are mesh perfectly.

I want this to be published.  I want each race to be drawn by Wayne Douglas Barlowe.  I want movies either live action or animated.

One last thing, I want to add.  There is a character who leads the special operations crew in their workouts. I have taken to imagining him with me when I'm working out or riding my bike.  If I feel like I'm lagging or don't want to do another set, I just think, "Would Adam let me stop here?  Or would he make me do more?"

No comments: