Friday, October 31, 2008

Flashbacks


Last year I dressed as the Joker.
And this morning as I'm driving to work with my big black mask, I remembered driving to work on Halloween back in 1997.
I was doing temp work at the Bank One offices in Lexington, KY. I had picked up a coworker and fellow grad student, and we were on our way. Like last year, I was dressed as the Joker.
And halfway to work, I was rear-ended. I saw it coming, and was about to warn Reuben, when we got hit. The force of the impact pushed me into the car ahead of me. Twice.
The idiot in the car who hit me was some kid, and the car I hit had two large black men in it. And I was dressed as the Joker.
Soon the police arrived, and had us pull into a nearby parking lot. They took our statements, and told me that my car, a 1988 Toyota Corolla SR5, was pretty solid having not taken any real damage. And I was dressed as the Joker.
Then I got to work, and explained why I was late. I ended up winning the costume contest, and had the notoriety of having been spotted on the road by high up execs visiting from the Ohio headquarters.
Truly my most memorable Halloween.

No comments: