Thursday, May 14, 2009

Thin Skin

So a little over a week ago, I wrote a little review of Mathematicians in Love (Non-Buyer's Pleasance).

A couple days ago I got a comment posted by the author (Comment).

I just have to say that I'm amazed at the tone and content of his comment.

First off, I'm not a published author; not really. I had a short story published in a 'zine once, but that was run by a friend. I've got some short stories I'd like to get out there, but I don't think it will happen anytime soon. However, I've had people read my stories, and I know that not everyone likes them all.

Now, were I a published author with as many books as Mr. Rucker has under his belt, I would not push someone away who didn't like one of his books. I would recommend other books as possibilities to try. I'm sure he liked the book he wrote; you can't write something be it a song, story, or even a RPG adventure if you don't like the content. But to expect everyone to love everything you wrote as much as you do is unrealistic.

I had considered looking into some of his other books, but with an attitude like that, I think I'll pass.

No comments: