Tuesday, February 09, 2010

I'm a Geologist, not a Doctor (Nor am I a Bricklayer)

So I wrote about Charles Stross yesterday, but I didn't really recap the books.

Wireless and Toast are collections of short stories.

The Atrocity Archives and The Jennifer Morgue are kind of supernatural spy stories. Magic and mathematics and Lovecraftian horrors all mixed together. The Jennifer Morgue especially is a tribute to Ian Fleming, but also contains nods to others as well. One of his stories (I forget the exact one, and it might be more than one) refers to those on the Other Side as being in the Dungeon Dimensions. It's a straight up connection to Terry Pratchett, which made me giggle.

Tonight I finished Who Censored Roger Rabbit? by Gary Wolf. It was not what I expected, and I had had my expectations lowered after reading that the only line the movie has in common with the book is Baby Herman's reference to his lust level versus his equipment. It was also hard to make the transition from seeing the movie be about animated 'Toons, and the book being about funny pages 'Toons. I think it may have to do with not really liking murder mysteries in the first place, but this one seemed to be written with an extremely convoluted plot. I enjoyed for the contrast to the movie, but I definitely prefer the movie to the book.

No comments: