Friday, April 25, 2008

Distractions

Yesterday at 4:30, Jennifer called me and said she'd be coming home one day early from traveling. Then I was directed that she wanted to have a "bed picnic" and watch movies. The movies could be neither educational nor action.

Now a "bed picnic" goes back to when we used to have a TV in our bedroom, and on lazy days, we would get all kinds of finger foods and snacks, spread beach towels on the bed, and watch movies together. Now, Jennifer had been gone since Tuesday, so I wanted to make it a little more fun.

First stop: Costco.

Jennifer's new favorite drink is a Bay Breeze made by me. The way I make one is 1 cup of pineapple juice, 1/3 cup vodka, and 1/4 cranberry juice served over ice in a pint glass with a straw. And were at the bottom of out Ketel One vodka, so I had to be sure that there would be enough for more than one, and if I wankted something. Jennifer has a friend who works at Costco, and he told us that the Kirkland vodka is made by Gray Goose. Yes, it's a different recipe, but it's still Gray Goose. And as I'm walking to pay, I see the 20th Anniversary Edition of "The Princess Bride".

To those that know me: "Shut up." It's got new featurettes and a DVD game. I NEEDED IT! Besides, i had to buy the VHS version twice because I wore the first copy out. Why not have two DVD versions?

Second stop: Hollywood Video

Yes, I'm on Netflix, but sometimes you need things. Now there use to be one nice and convenient in Pleasant Hill, but they closed, so now I have to go to Martinez. Of the three I picked, we watched "Mr. Magorium's Wonder Emporium". I'll tell about the other two when I've watched them. Magorium was all right. It started out fun, and had some great parts; Dustin Hoffman is always amazing. But the end kind of just happens. There's a lot of build up, but they way it closed would be like watching "Star Wars" and rolling the credits immediately after the Death Star blows up. We were both left with a big "...and then what?" kind of feeling. And not in the annoying artsy movie kind of way. Just the annoying way.

Third stop: Damo Sushi

This used to be our favorite sushi place, but the sushi chef we liked left and went to San Jose, and they went all karaoke, and experimental with what the store was about. They've settled down lately, and have expanded their specialty rolls section of the menu. We had great stuff. I had a nigiri assortment with a 49er roll (California roll with salmon on top), and Jennifer had a spicy tuna hand roll, two unagi (plus one from my assortment) and a titanic roll (deep-fried, tempura-battered California roll with unagi on top). Plus we had tempura and miso soup.

All in all a very nice homecoming.

No comments: