Saturday, May 08, 2010

J. Michael Straczynski

I first encountered J. Michael Straczynski (JMS) like most people did, from watching "Babylon 5". I am not ashamed to say that there were episodes that made me cry.

When Ivanova's father dies and she is talking to him over video-phone.

When Kosh dies and at the same time is speaking to Captain Sheridan in his dreams.

When Marcus dies transferring his life to Ivanova.

Recently, JMS has moved into writing comics. He wrote independent for a while, then he worked at Marvel for a while. And now he has moved to DC Comics. I was a bit nervous about what he might do to my favorite heroes.

Then this morning, I read The Brave and The Bold #33. It almost sounds like a joke (which is what JMS does sometimes) "Wonder Woman, Batgirl, and Zatanna go out clubbing..." It's hard to describe what specific time period it takes place in without giving away the whole story. I was enjoying a light reading until about halfway through. Then with one word from Wonder Woman, tears are streaming down my face.

An incredible book that anyone who was reading DC in the mid- to early-90s will enjoy.

No comments: