Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Anotehr Book Down

Last night, I finished The Manual of Detection by Jedediah Berry.

Mom had described it as a poor man's Thursday Next book (the Jasper Fforde series), but it really isn't like that at all.

While it is very surreal, it has a pretty good internal logic. I enjoyed the layers you learn of in the Agency, and the things work in the sub-levels of the Agency.

It is like coming in towards the end of a series, and having a flunky take overt the story. Say, as if you had never read a Sherlock Holmes book, and a new book by Sir Arthur was found where Watson is the new hero and is looking for Holmes. And yet, not.

Plus, I liked the "everyman" kind of descriptions as well as the generic descriptions of the city as well.

As a mystery, I'm sure it won't be everyone's cup of tea, but I found it a nice break from other things, and yet it still had elements of a good sci-fi kind of story too.

No comments: