Tuesday, March 18, 2008

iPodicus Restoratus!

So, Saturday I began having strange problems with my iPod. I'd had it outputting to the stereo in the library, and when I took it down I noticed that it squeaked. Now this is supposed to be a precision machine, and the last thing I would expect delicate electronic components to do is squeak. I mean, where would I put the oil?

So I very careful and cautious when I plugged it into my computer to adjust the playlist. And it started squeaking.

So, I got nervous. I unplugged it, reset it, and while the Apple logo was up for the reset it squeaked. Then I went to the Apple support page, and there was nothing about iPods that squeaked. I followed the Rs, and ended up going through all of them up to the Restore. I ran the restore (squeaking away), and then went to sync it, and it kept hanging between 0.75 and 1.3 GB.

So, I made an appointment at the WC Apple store, getting in Sunday afternoon. I went in, and told them what had happened. And of course it did what all devices do in the presence of a repairman... It worked fine. It loaded up over 2 GB and never squeaked. The Genius (I use the term as a title, not as a rating of the guy's intelligence, although he was very nice and understanding) said that if he couldn't experience the problem, there was nothing he could do. He did wrote down the problem on a business card, and said that if it happened again to come back in and talk to him.

So, I got home and tried to sync again. And it started squeaking. I immediately went and made an appointment for Monday afternoon. And things went incredibly smoothly. I went in, and the store was probably half the decibels (yes I know it's a logarithmic scale) it was on Sunday (less children mostly). And I'm all prepared to show it squeaking. I take a seat to wait, and they call three names of those with appointments before me, and none of them answer. So I'm next, and without even asking for him, I get the Genius who helped me on Sunday. I told him I had been there the day before with the squeaking drive, and showed him his card as a reminder. He looked at me and said, "Well, to show you I am a man of my word, I'm just going to switch it out for you."

So, I have a new iPod. The old one was only 3 months old, but now it's relatively pristine. I went home with trepidation, and opened iTunes, and plugged in the replacement in attempt to sync. It didn't squeak, and in began to fill up. I decided to read, and check it every chapter. And all through the evening it slowly filled up. By the time I went to bed it was over 35 GB and still syncing. This morning I had the joy of finding a completely synced iPod.

So, I am happy.

No comments: