Thursday, July 10, 2008

The scariest words in the English language

The other day I was in with Bryan talking, and one of the company's principals looked in and waited for a lull in the conversation. Then, looking at me, he says, "Can I talk to you for a minute?"

I had an immediate flashback to five years ago, when I was let go from Kleinfelder.

Don Gray the geotechnical manager (and prick-and-a-half that he is) comes to my cubical, and says, "Can I talk to you for a minute?"

I said yes, and then he walks away to his office. I get up, and walk in to see him sitting down and the head of Human Resources. That was when I was told that they were terminating me.

Fortunately all Doug wanted was to make me the equivalent of Hall Monitor for the East Wing of our office. We're going to be hosting a client in one of the offices near mine, and he doesn't want anyone discussing privileged things, or client disparaging comments in the hall.

Afterwards, I told Bryan that I want a sash for my new position.

No comments: