Tuesday, September 23, 2008

The Duty - Day One

I have been recruited by the Star League to defend the frontier against Xur and the Ko-Dan armada...

Er, no.

I have been selected by a random computer to be 8.3% of the force that decides the fate of one individual for a crime he may or may not have committed.

Maybe.

Today I reported for the first time due to a jury summon. I have been summoned many times before, but mostly when I was in either Sacramento or Lexington going to school. And so I didn't have to report. Then I have been summoned once every coupe years since being back but never had to report.

Until now.

Today I sat in a room for two hours in the morning, reading and napping, and then nearly the entire room was called up to begin the jury selection process. There we had the initial charges read to us, and those with hardships were allowed to plead their case.

Those of us without any good reason to get out of the Duty, were freed to go at 10:30 to return at 1:30 for the questioning.

Jennifer came and picked me up so I wouldn't lose my parking spot, then we got lunch, went home, and watched two episodes of "Eureka".

Upon returning we were given numbers. I am Number 14. That means I am second alternate (at present) for the Box of 12. Questioning was performed by the County Prosecutor, and then we had a break, and then questioning was performed by the Defense. They got to me, I answered, and we ran out of time.

So, I go back tomorrow morning for the continuing questioning of the other four alternates. Then the Prosecution and Defense get to dismiss those whom they feel will not be able to perform impartially, or will not perform impartially the direction they wish.

We'll see how it goes.

No comments: