Friday, February 13, 2009

Dessert First

Tomorrow we are having the Sorrell's over for dinner. I'll give more of the menu tomorrow, but tonight.while Jennifer was out, I made the dessert: Wonderful Chocolate Mousse (a.k.a. Grand Marnier Chocolate Mousse).

It was my favorite "special" dessert growing up, and I made it even more special when I made it for Jennifer for our first date picnic.

And I think it is something that needs to be shared because it is so great. So without further ado "Wonderful Chocolate Mousse"

6 tablespoons strong coffee
2 ounces (1/4 cup) Grand Marnier liqueur
6 ounces (3/4 cup) semi-sweet chocolate bits
1/4 cup sugar
2 cups heavy cream
1/2 teaspoon vanilla

Combine coffee, liqueur, and chocolate in top of double boiler. Place over simmering water. Stir until chocolate is melted. Add sugar, continue to stir until very smooth and glossy. Cool. Chip cream with vanilla until very thick. Thoroughly blend chocolate mixture into cream. Spoon into glasses, cover, and chill.

(Serves 6)

For the Microwave:
Place chocolate bits in 4-cup glass measure. Microwave for 2 minutes on high or until melted. Add hot coffee, liqueur, and sugar; stir until smooth and glossy Cool. Whip cream with vanilla until very thick. Thoroughly blend chocolate mixture into cream. Spoon into glasses, cover, and chill.

First of all, it's very simple. Second, the taste is impressive. And I forget every time I make it, that it requires coffee.

Enjoy.

No comments: