Thursday, November 13, 2008

Philosophical Homophones

John threw down the gauntlet with this post this morning.

Now, the first thing I thought of was an old Bloom County Sunday strip which I will try to dig up and scan tonight. Milo (with Opus following behind) goes to a Lost and Found kiosk, and announces that he has lost his youthful idealism. He goes on a building tirade about other lost intangibles.

Then I went to Murphy's Law, Finagle Law (or Corollary), and others. My favorite has always been Clarke's Laws:

  1. When a distinguished but elderly scientist states that something is possible, he is almost certainly right. When he states that something is impossible, he is very probably wrong.
  2. The only way of discovering the limits of the possible is to venture a little way past them into the impossible.
  3. Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.

And also there is Cole's Law (thinly sliced cabbage).

Of course this all kind of falls flat when I say that I didn't shave today.

1 comment:

J said...

You shaggy philosopher, you.