Monday, November 24, 2008

Pier 39 and the Wharf

Saturday, Jennifer and I spent the day in the city. We had tickets to a show Saturday night, and Jennifer had wanted to see the tree lighting ceremony at Pier 39.

And we killed most of the afternoon on the Pier. We got some Christmas shopping done, and enjoyed people watching.

The best bit was when we were taking a break in the hallway outside of the marine mammal center. In one window they have a complete skeleton of a male sea lion that died of natural causes. Two men who I can only describe as rednecks walked by, and paused at the window. As they moved on, one said to the other, "I didn't know they had bones."

I shit you not. Fortunately Jennifer and I were able to stifle our laughter until they left.

And then about 5:00, we headed to the front of the Pier for the lighting ceremony. I asked Jennifer about where she had seen the sign (hoping to check up on the time for the ceremony), and she said up near the street, and that it had said the ceremony was on the 23rd. I paused, and said, that's Sunday.

So we did see the lighting ceremony, but we did have a fun day.

It reminded me of when I was a little kid, and Pier 39 first opened. At the time it was so different. And it was one of the first places that they had the silver mylar helium balloons. They were so awesome .

No comments: