Monday, November 10, 2008

Time Travel and Fantasy

Sunday, while Jennifer was the the Raiders' game, I spent most of the day reading.

I finished The Accidental Time Machine by Joe Haldeman. It was very engaging for the first two thirds of the book. Imagine a time machine that can only go forward (preserving all the pesky laws of conservation and such), and each time travels approximately 12 times farther each jump.

So first jump, 1 second. Second jump 12 seconds. Third jump 144 seconds. And so on.

Matthew quickly learns how to get things to travel with the machine, and later begins his jumps through time.

The hand-waving kind of ending with what seemed like a quick summary of events went by too quickly, and left me unsatisfied.

But now I am on to The House of the Stag by Kage Baker, which is a prequel of her Anvil of the World. Kage Baker's style of writing captivates me. Mother Aegypt, a collection of short stories, was the first thing I read by her, and her language and skill made me want more.

I'm already halfway through this latest book, and then I will get back to (and hopefully finish) The Well of Ascension, before picking up Paul of Dune at the library.

No comments: