Sunday, July 12, 2009

10 Days and Year Thirty-One

Things got even better this year.

I began talking to my parents about possibly proposing to Jennifer. After talking, Mom gave me my great aunt's engagement ring which has a white sapphire in it.

On August 25, 1999, I took Jennifer top Il Fornaio's in Walnut Creek. I really don't remember much of the evening aside from it being very hot and being very nervous.

After dinner, we walked around Broadway Plaza and then came back to the fountain outside the restaurant. Once there, we sat down, I slipped off onto one knee, and asked her to marry me. A few years later when she was watching the DVDs of "Babylon 5", it turned out that I (unknowingly, I swear) quoted Sheridan's proposal to Delenn.

The first thing I said after her gasp of amazement, was that the stone wasn't a diamond, but was a family sapphire. Then she said yes, and got flustered and said, "Ask me again." After a second proposal and a second acceptance, we kissed and jugged, and got applause from the people eating outside at Il Fornaio.

The rest of the year was spent in saving and making deposits and going to parties.

We set the date for one year later: August 25, 2000.

And yes there's reason: No holidays in August.

No comments: