Thursday, January 15, 2009

Ahhhhh, Math (and Pepsi)

Today, we had a training meeting and lunch was provided. It was pizza and one two-liter bottle each of Pepsi and Diet Coke. The Pepsi was quickly drained, and the Diet Coke was half drunk.

Lesson #1: Don't buy diet drinks of pizza day.

A few of us were still thirsty, so we walked over to the local 7-Eleven. I forgot my mug, and in the process got a lesson in soft drink mathematics.

I thought I'd be good and just buy a 20 ounce bottle of Pepsi. That was listed at $1.59. Below it was a sign for two 2-liters of any Pepsi product for $3. Now that math is easy. I could get 40 ounces of Pepsi for $3.18, or get 135.25 ounces (4 liters) for $3.

So I bought two bottles promising my coworkers that I would not drink it all today.

Then when I got back to the office, I had to wonder if I made out better than when I use the Extreme Gulp.

WARNING: MATH CONTENT

The two 2-liters of Pepsi actually ended up costing $3.46 with California Redemption Value (CRV). That's 2.55¢ per ounce.

The 52-ounce mug is $1.09 to refill; no tax and no CRV. That's 2.10¢ per ounce.

Of course if I have my Ultimate Gulp which is 68 ounces that drops to 1.60¢.

But thankfully, I balance this with at least 3 liters of water a day.

No comments: