Sunday, January 18, 2009

Quotes

I finished The Involuntary Human by David Gerrold today while watching football.

Some of the stories were pretty good, but I do not consistently find satisfaction with the tales. I have requested his book The Martian Child at the library, so that should be good. Jennifer and I enjoyed the movie, so I'll be interested to see what bits were embellished for Hollywood.

One thing I did enjoy about the book were several interludes of quotes. Things that I just find funny or poignant:

Notice they are not called "God-worshiping people", they are called
"God-fearing people". So why are churches called "houses of worship" and
not "houses of fear"?

The Roman Empire died from an overdose of taxes, lawyers, and
Christians. But we're much to smart to make that mistake again.

Yes, Mother Nature is a bitch. But she's not your
bitch.

I've always felt that you shouldn't criticize a man though, until you've
walked a mile in his shoes. That way when you do criticize him, you're a
mile away. And you've got his shoes.

You have the right to free speech. You do not have the right to an
audience.

The only winner of the War of 1812 was Tchaikovsky.

If Helen Keller falls down in a forest, does she make a sound?

A gentleman is one who doesn't require a lady to prove that she is.

I'm waiting for Jennifer to finish Kelley Armstrong's latest. I guess I'll have to read comics until then.

No comments: